MUSIC MEDIAMusic_Media.html
SPORTS MEDIASports_Media.html

Windsor outmuscles Newtown to win crucial game

August 19 2012

by Jodie Newell

A bruising game of two halves has seen the Windsor Wolves take the points against the Newtown Jets at the Windsor Sporting Complex on Sunday. The win was vital in going towards securing the double chance for the Wolves, whilst for Newtown they must win their home game next week to secure a finals berth.

Conditions were perfect for rugby league with bright sunshine and no breeze to speak of. Both sides tested each other out giving no quarter on the hard, dusty surface at the Windsor Sporting Complex.

The Jets were the first to take the initiative when Jack Littlejohn took advantage of a loose Windsor ball and earned his side an extra set of tackles. Josh Ailaomai immediately cashed in on the break getting over the tryline, with Blake Lazarus converting.

Incredibly Windsor struck back after the return kick took a bad bounce for Newtown’s Tinirau Arona, the opportunistic Dean Parata snaffled the ball and stormed in for a try. Matt Mundine added the extras from a difficult angle and the game was tied at 6 apiece.

Both sides were extremely physical in with their tackles, with bone crunching hit-ups punctuated with a cloud of dust from the hard playing surface. Windsor applied themselves a little too eagerly when Newtown’s Adam Henry was deemed by referee Matt Noyen to have been placed in a dangerous tackle. Wolves player Matthew Mundine was placed on report for the tackle.

UPDATE : Mundine accepted an early guilty plea and will miss 2 matches for a grade 2 dangerous throw charge.

The Wolves became frustrated with their game and became increasingly unfocussed. They would soon be a man down after referee Noyen deemed that Kane Morgan had displayed vocal dissent and was sent from the field to curb his temper.

Newtown made full use of the opportunity with Saulala Houma getting under the posts. Houma nearly gave Jets coach Greg Matterson a heart attack when he finessed and celebrated for what seemed like an eternity before planting the ball into the Windsor turf. Lazarus easily converted.

The Jets Andrew Pearn began a great run moving the ball down the field, before Daniel Mortimer feigned a pass to his full back in Blake Lazarus and got under the posts for a classy try. Lazarus made no mistake Jets 18-6.

Newtown were not quite finished when Anthony Cherrington scored out wide.

The score at half-time saw the Jets hold a  22- 6 lead.

Windsor coach Guy Missio must have read the riot act to his players who were clearly not concentrating on their game basics. Whatever was said in the sheds to the Windsor team was soon evident on the field when they chased down the Jets for a goal line drop out. Daniel Mortimer attempted a clearing kick on the fifth tackle, but shanked it off the side of his boot into the awaiting arms of Junior Vai Vai who ran in for a try. Mundine missed the conversion, with the Wolves back in the game 22-10.

Both teams were playing superb attacking rugby league with the Jets settling into a good rhythm. Winger Samiu Latu scored a superb try out wide for Newtown and their lead increased to 26-10.

The Wolves refused to give in and began to gradually wear down the Newton defence. They put down two unanswered tries via a superb run from Arana Taumata who kicked the ball forward and Dean Parata dived on the ball to score. The other try was courtesy of Kane Morgan. Both tries were converted by Matt Mundine. The Wolves were full of running at 26-22 in favour of Newtown.

The Jets Daniel Mortimer kicked a 40-20 and had an opportunity to score, but the Wolves defence held firm. Leivaha Pulu would put his side in the lead with five minutes remaining after chasing down a 5th tackle kick. Matt Mundine made no mistake and Windsor led 28-26.

It seemed Newtown had ran out of legs and were unable to counter a fast finishing Windsor team. In the final act of the game, Tinirau Arona threw a speculator ball on the fifth tackle, but was poorly executed and Arana Taumata gladly accepted the intercept pass, offloading to Junior Vai Vai who ran under posts for the exclamation points. Mundine converted and the final score saw the Wolves victorious at 34-26.

The game was clearly played in two halves. Newtown would be disappointed they were unable to hold out the Wolves, whilst on the Windsor side, they would have been delighted in the way the wore down the Jets team. It seems they have snapped out of their slump and if they can continue the quality of physical football as displayed in the second half, they will go deep into the September action.

Next weekend sees the Jets take on the Illawarra Cutters at the “back to” day at Henson Park. It should be a beauty considering the ramifications of finals.

Windsor play the Cronulla Sharks who will also be looking for a win to keep their slim finals chances alive. The game is part of a huge double header at Henson Park beginning at 1 pm. Be there!

Final score:  Windsor Wolves 34 defeated Newtown Jets 26

Tries Wolves: J Vai Vai 2, D Parata 2, L Pulu, K Morgan

Tries Jets : B Lazarus, S Latu, J Ailaomai, S Houma, A Cherrington

Conversions Wolves: M Mundine 5

Conversions Jets :  B Lazarus 3

Referee: Matt Noyen

Touch Judges :  Jason Higgins Brendan Wood

Newtown’s Daniel Mortimer passes the ball to teammate Mose Mosoe (left)

image © 2012 NewellMediaGroup